In December 2016, about the same time I ditched Apple in favour of
good old FreeBSD on my laptop, I gave my mother my old iPhone as a
Newtonmas present. To replace it I bought myself a Nexus 5x and
immediately installed CopperheadOS
on it. It has served me well since then.
Installation of CopperheadOS was a breeze. Tools such as fastboot
and adb was readily available as FreeBSD packages that was easily
installed on my Thinkpad without having to install a humongous Android
Studio or a huge Android SDK or anything.
Copperhead keeps a fork of Signal called Noise in their F-Droid repo.
At the start, this was necessary since the Android flavour of Signal
used Google Cloud Messaging to push messages. The Noise fork instead
keeps a websocket open all the time. Bad for the battery, perhaps, but
keeps you free from the Google services.
The upstreams Signal has since been patched to do the same thing, but
you'll have to install it from the
APK since it's not available on the
The Conversations XMPP client also keeps a connection alive all the
time, but my battery time has been quite acceptable.
The F-Droid package repo is excellent. The
FLOSS scene on Android is so much better than on iOS, where almost all
free apps are closed source and many have advertisments. Some of the
apps I use besides the built-in in Copperhead apps are:
Conversations - XMPP client. See the Legacy version if you need OTR
support. The new version only allows OMEMO and, strangely enough,
A few days ago I found Bastian Bechtold's wonderfully simple
probably after finding some wise words in his
blog. org-static-blog is a simple Emacs blog
exporter for entries written in Org mode.
Since I use Org every day, both in my free time and at work, it seemed
natural I would want to write my blog entries in org-mode instead of
Markdown. I considered for a while using Hugo's
new Org parsing, but was charmed by the really simple org-static-blog,
so I decided to do a few experiments.
First I made the HTML output validate, then, with a go-ahead from
Bastian, I turned it into HTML 5. I also have a branch generating an
Atom feed instead of RSS, but it isn't quite working yet.
There are some rough edges still, for instance how to handle relative
paths in the feed, but it's promising. I also probably made a few
mistakes in setting it up for my own blog because, for instance, the
rendered date of the post seems to be included in the feed...
I converted my old Markdown posts with John MacFarlane's wonderfully
generic pandoc utility. Actually installing
pandoc on my laptop would install 128 dependencies and a total of 3
GiB of additional software! For a one-time job! Instead, I found
James Gregory's pandoc Docker
image which made the job
quite easy. Well, that and a throw-away Go program that parsed the
Hugo metadata into Org metadata.
The local ISP I use in my holiday home,
Teleservice Skåne, doesn't offer native
IPv6 to us lowly ADSL customers. However, they do operate a 6rd
gateway! This configuration in my OpenWRT's /etc/config/network made
all the difference: